Ubuntu_16.04 [SOLVED]: Ubuntu 16.04.3 Flickering With Nouveau driver, bizarre "corrupted" screen and freezing using Proprietary drivers. Nvidia Geforce 8200M Compaq CQ60

Ubuntu_16.04 [SOLVED]: Ubuntu 16.04.3 Flickering With Nouveau driver, bizarre "corrupted" screen and freezing using Proprietary drivers. Nvidia Geforce 8200M Compaq CQ60

Home Forums Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu_16.04 [SOLVED]: Ubuntu 16.04.3 Flickering With Nouveau driver, bizarre "corrupted" screen and freezing using Proprietary drivers. Nvidia Geforce 8200M Compaq CQ60

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

QuestionQuestion

I installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on an old HP Compaq CQ60 Laptop. The default driver (Nouveau) flickers when something changes on the screen such as mouse movement, opening Firefox, etc. I’ve tried proprietary drivers. When the proprietary drivers are in use, it will be stuck in a boot loop, it will be in a low resolution and then go right back to the login screen, or parts of the screen will flicker and move up and down. I got it to a point where it would work normally but then it would freeze when I would open chromium and firefox. Windows 7 works perfectly fine. I can access a TTY. The issue happened right after I installed it and I have had this issue before with earlier versions (14.04 and 15.10). I’ve reinstalled previously multiple times and nothing changes.

Anonymous

Accepted AnswerAnswer

I did some more digging and found that all I had to do what install a legacy driver insert face-palm here. Anyways I typed

sudo apt-get install nvidia-304 nvidia-settings

Works normally. I still get the weird splash screen but at least it works.

Source: https://askubuntu.com/questions/990065/ubuntu-16-04-3-flickering-with-nouveau-driver-bizarre-corrupted-screen-and-fr
    Author: Zyvver
    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.