Ubuntu-16.04 [SOLVED]: Mount directory from another drive to Desktop/Videos

Ubuntu-16.04 [SOLVED]: Mount directory from another drive to Desktop/Videos

Home Forums Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu-16.04 [SOLVED]: Mount directory from another drive to Desktop/Videos

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

QuestionQuestion

I use a ssd as system drive and want to outsource the video files because I have limited space on that ssd. How do I do this?

Anonymous

Accepted AnswerAnswer

Automount is done via the file /ect/fstab. The entry format is:

<file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>

Device designations (/sdX) maybe used, but since they may change it is best to use UUID.

First copy your videos to the partition you want to use. Verify the copy was successful before deleting from your home directory. Next open gparted, select the drive and partition you want to use. Click on “info” in the partition menu at the top. Record the UUID of the partition you want to use.

Last, you will need root permissions to edit /etc/fstab. Add the following lines to the end of the file.

#Video partition mount
    uuid=<UUID> /home/<user>/Videos ext4 defaults 0 2

Replace < UUID> with the UUID recorded earlier, and < user> with your user name. If the partition is on an external drive add nofail to the options so that boot doesn’t crash if the drive isn’t present. IF the partition isn’t formatted ext4 correct that as needed.

Source: https://askubuntu.com/questions/991042/mount-directory-from-another-drive-to-desktop-videos
    Author: ravery
    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.