Ubuntu-16.04 [SOLVED]: How to get Ubuntu Host to Register Hostname With DNS Server

Ubuntu-16.04 [SOLVED]: How to get Ubuntu Host to Register Hostname With DNS Server

Home Forums Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu-16.04 [SOLVED]: How to get Ubuntu Host to Register Hostname With DNS Server

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

QuestionQuestion

I’m in an Active Directory domain.

I have a windows computer (not joined to the domain). When I connect it to the network, I can ping it by hostname from any other computer on the network.

How can I replicate this behavior on Lubuntu 16.04?

I’ve tried samba/winbind. I got somewhere with avahi, but that doesn’t appear to work across different subnets.

If my unjoined windows computer can do it so effortlessly, then there HAS to be a way with Ubuntu. Please help.

Anonymous

Accepted AnswerAnswer

Thank you to @Vidarlo.

I went back to my dhclient.conf file, where I had tried submitting the fqdn already, but I admittedly cut and pasted code I saw from other discussion forums. I had the following,

send fqdn.fqdn "myhost.my.corp.domain";
    send fqdn.encoded on;
    send fqdn.server-update off;

but the send fqdn.server-update should have been set to on.

And now it works!

Source: https://askubuntu.com/questions/990537/how-to-get-ubuntu-host-to-register-hostname-with-dns-server
    Author: SW_user2953243
    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.