Ubuntu-16.04 [SOLVED]: Different between aligned malloc and standard malloc?

Ubuntu-16.04 [SOLVED]: Different between aligned malloc and standard malloc?

Home Forums Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu-16.04 [SOLVED]: Different between aligned malloc and standard malloc?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

QuestionQuestion

I’m new to malloc and aligned malloc. I know how to use them. However, I don’t know exactly in which case we should use aligned malloc instead of standard malloc. Can you explain to me please? Thank you all.

Anonymous

Accepted AnswerAnswer

The glibc documentation makes it reasonably clear where you should use aligned_alloc:

The address of a block returned by malloc or realloc in GNU systems is always a multiple of eight (or sixteen on 64-bit systems). If you need a block whose address is a multiple of a higher power of two than that, use aligned_alloc or posix_memalign.

The C standard already guarantees that malloc will return a suitably aligned memory block for any of the standard types but there may be situations in which you want or need stricter alignment.

As one example, I seem to recall that SSE2 (SIMD) instructions need their data aligned on 16-byte boundaries so you could use aligned_alloc to give you that even on systems where malloc only guarantees alignment to an 8-byte boundary.

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39677063/different-between-aligned-malloc-and-standard-malloc
    Author: paxdiablo
    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.