Ubuntu-14.04 [SOLVED]: how to make a host in the Lan to forward traffic between other hosts in the same LAN in Linux

Ubuntu-14.04 [SOLVED]: how to make a host in the Lan to forward traffic between other hosts in the same LAN in Linux

Home Forums Ubuntu 14.04 Ubuntu-14.04 [SOLVED]: how to make a host in the Lan to forward traffic between other hosts in the same LAN in Linux

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

QuestionQuestion

I am setting a test topology as the following:

Switch1-----Switch2-----Switch3
       |           |           |
       H1          H2          H3

I want the traffic going from H1 to H3 to go visit H2 before being forwarded to H3. I have set flow rules on my switches (OpenVSwitch) to do that. However, when traffic goes to H2, it got dropped there.

I wonder what configurations I should add to H2 (Ubuntu 14.04) in order to enable H2 to forward a traffic that is not destined to it, nor originated from it.

Anonymous

Accepted AnswerAnswer

Thank you for you answers, I finally could do it by rewriting the destination Mac address of the packets in the switch. the problem was that , the host 2 drops packets that are not destined to it ( different Mac destination address). thus by rewriting the destination Mac address to host2’s Mac address in switch 2, and by activating the IP forwarding in host 2, traffic is successfully redirected.
    so the step one , is to tell S2 to send traffic to Host 2 with destination Mac of host 2.
    and step 2, is to tell S2 to rewrite the the Mac address of traffic returning from host 2 to host 3 Mac address ( to restore the original mac address).

Source: https://serverfault.com/questions/888579/how-to-make-a-host-in-the-lan-to-forward-traffic-between-other-hosts-in-the-same
    Author: Archaj
    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.