Nginx [SOLVED]: Python, uWSGI, NGINX, FLASK works on WiFi does not over cellular

Nginx [SOLVED]: Python, uWSGI, NGINX, FLASK works on WiFi does not over cellular

Home Forums Nginx Nginx [SOLVED]: Python, uWSGI, NGINX, FLASK works on WiFi does not over cellular

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

QuestionQuestion

I’m using a Digital Ocean server to run a personal website. The site works perfectly and I’m happy with it. I was able to get Lets Encrypt set up and working too (this problem existed before setting up Lets Encrypt).

Over WiFi. Over a cellular network the site doesn’t load. But if I switch my phone to WiFi, it works fine. I have literally no idea what is causing this issue.

My set up is very standard, Python and flask, served by nginx and uWSGI. Everything was set up using this tutorial. I am happy to post nginx config, uwsgi config, etc, and all source for the site is here.

UPDATE

This issue is caused by a bug in certbot, which doesn’t handle IPV6 when used on NGINX. This can be fixed by editing the NGINX config and adding the lines in Wander Nauta’s answer.

Anonymous

Accepted AnswerAnswer

Your website has both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address:

$ dig +short A njw.fish

$ dig +short AAAA njw.fish
    2604:a880:800:10::20c1:d001

This is great, but it seems nginx is only listening on the IPv4 address. Instruct it to listen on both:

listen [::]:443 ssl;  # For IPv6
    listen 443 ssl;       # For IPv4

Likely, your cell phone uses the (newer) IPv6, while your WiFi uses the (older) IPv4.

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47981630/python-uwsgi-nginx-flask-works-on-wifi-does-not-over-cellular
    Author: Wander Nauta
    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.