Networking [SOLVED]: Azure VMs not SNATing despite being behind ALB

Networking [SOLVED]: Azure VMs not SNATing despite being behind ALB

Home Forums Networking Networking [SOLVED]: Azure VMs not SNATing despite being behind ALB

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

QuestionQuestion

I have three Azure VMs in an availability set which is the target of an ALB which has a public IP address, the intention being to use SNAT so they have a predictable outbound IP. Each VM is behaving as though it is a standard non-load balanced VM with no instance-level public IP. The documentation states;

The Load Balancer resource must be configured with a rule to link the
    public IP frontend with the backend pool. If you do not complete this
    configuration, the behavior is as described in the preceding section
    for Standalone VM with no Instance Level Public IP.

What is this rule? Is it not enough to have the public IP on the load balancer and the VMs in the targeted availability set? Can someone explain where this rule is created?

Anonymous

Accepted AnswerAnswer

OK, turns out this is vague for a reason – despite the fact I only want the ALB for outbound SNAT, it only works if you create (literally any) inbound load balancer rule and associated health check. Once I did that, my instances are sending traffic out the ALB with the correct source IP.

Source: https://serverfault.com/questions/886383/azure-vms-not-snating-despite-being-behind-alb
    Author: Elomis
    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.